CHAMOUNIX MANSION INTERNATIONAL HOSTEL
For my 4 night stay in Philadelphia I booked this hostel. I wanted something quiet, away from the centre but with access to the city. When I came across this one I thought it was perfect! And super cheap!
- The hostel is situated in the northern corner of Fairmount Park – a huge area of parkland containing mansions, viewpoints, sculptures, recreation activities and museums.
- It’s 5.5 miles away from the centre
- We walked it one day and followed the Museum without walls route (website here). It takes about 2 hours.
- By uber it takes about 15 minutes and costs about $12-$15 – pretty cheap if you’re splitting the price.
- You can get a bus – about 15 minutes to the bus stop and then a 20 minute bus ride.
- There are shops and takeaways about 15 minutes away or target is a 30 minute walk. We bought all our food from here and cooked at the hostel.
- Accommodation: the rooms range from 6 bed to 12 bed dorms I believe
- I stayed in a 10 bed room in the building that is not used as much in the hostel. This is because there was a big group booking who stayed in the main building. The room was quite pleasant and on the last night I had the whole room to myself!
- You are provided with sheets for the very thin mattresses. I can sleep on anything so I was fine but a lot of people were complaining.
- Shared bathroom was very clean and had powerful showers.
- Common Rooms: as it is a mansion there are stunning rooms decorated traditionally which adds to the whole experience.
- Games Room: this contains a Foosball table and piano and was a cool place to hang out.
- Kitchen: fully equipped and offers free tea and coffee as well as very obvious free food shelf in the cupboard and fridge which was really useful!
- Breakfast: whilst there is no real breakfast provided, the hostel do give free pancake mix for guests to use, and a couple of days they offered bagels. Depends on the day I think.
- Cycle rental: available for free but I didn’t take advantage of this.
- Help and Information: there is a massive board full of maps, events and information which was really useful. There are tonnes of leaflets around as well, and a computer which you could use to find out what you need.
- Laundry: there is a washer and dryer for use of guests, it costs 6 quarters for each.
- There is a set rate of $22 per person per night. If you are not a member of Hostelling International there is a fee of $3 per night extra.
I would stay here again if I found myself in Philly. Even though it’s not in the centre, I actually preferred exploring Fairmount Park than the city so I was very happy here!