Welcome to my blog! I’m Lou and I’ve started this blog to document my travels and to provide as much information about the places I’ve been as possible!
I’m from the South of England in a little village in Hertfordshire, however my family and I moved to sunny Somerset in the South West when I was 9. I’m now 20 years old and am living in Edinburgh for university.
I’m studying architecture which may be my dream job, but right now I’m working towards graduating so that I can get out and see the world.
I started this blog to share stories about my travels. I am very lucky because at Edinburgh University I am blessed with lovely long summers, which will usually be about 4 months. I intend to use these precious months to the maximum and do some exciting things each summer. I also have some smaller trips planned whilst I’m at university which of course I intend to document.
My aim was always to post 3 times a week, which has proved impossible. I’ll just try to post as and when I can! I was never a master with words so don’t expect long essays, but I would like to get some fun, helpful and informative posts out there!
I actually want to treat this blog as just part of the website ‘aletterfromlou.com‘. I also want to provide good information on the places I’ve been and the things I’ve done. I want this whole thing to be helpful.
It will take me some time to develop these areas of the website but I will get there!
Most importantly, I want this to be full of memories, photos and stories that I can keep looking back on in years to come.
Last summer (2016) I worked at camp in America which I loved and posted quite a few letters about my time at camp and travelling. Check them out here: Category: USA.
2017 has been pretty great so far! In the new year I went to Iceland for a week which must be one of the most amazing countries I’ve ever visited. I have some letters about my trip here: Category: Iceland.
I also went to Italy for 10 days as part of my course, and visited Rome, Turin and Milan. Each city surprised me in different ways and it made me fall in love with Italy all over again. Read my letters about Italy here: Category: Italy.
I’ve just spent my summer of 2017 doing some pretty awesome things and I am just finishing off writing about all of the wonderful places I visited!
- May: I spent a week in Spain holidaying in my auntie’s beautiful apartment in Nerja, just east of Malaga. It was a very relaxing week and I had some quality time with my boyfriend before continuing my travels solo! After he flew back I went to Malaga, Cordoba and Sevilla before heading off to Portugal.
- June: I began June on the Algarve with one of my best friends. We met in Faro, where we spent 2 nights and then travelled across to Lagos which was beautiful. I hadn’t been to Portugal since I was about 4 so it was great to return! I then headed up to Lisbon where I stopped for a few days before moving again to Porto. My mum met me in Porto and we had a nice relaxing week to catch up. June then got rather busy because I flew over to Budapest to meet my boyfriend, staying for only a couple of nights and then went down to Zagreb. I spent 4 nights in this fabulous city and even squeezed in a music festival. We then all headed over to Pula to spend a couple of days relaxing before they all flew home and again I continued on my travels.
- July: This was my big travel month. A whole month free with only a return flight booked back from Podgorica. I took my time travelling down the coast of Croatia and then spent a couple of weeks in Montenegro. I loved both of these countries and was not ready to leave. I’ve completed all of my posts about Croatia but I’m still working on Montenegro so stay tuned!
- August: Actually time for me to earn back some of the money I spent on travel. I worked for a lego exhibtion at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival which was bizarre and lots of fun. I got to experience Fringe for the first time which was a definite eye opener – and I loved it.
- September: I’m now mid way through September. I’ve visited London to catch up with my family, spent a couple of weeks at home in Somerset with my mum, celebrated my best friend’s birthday in Cardiff and now finally relaxing. Not for long though. Tomorrow I head to the Lake District to see my friend who is moving to Berlin this year and then Monday I start 3rd and final year of university. What a busy summer it’s been!
- October: Even whilst at uni I’m going to be busy. I have a weekend away planned in Loch Lomond with my boyfriend, a couple of birthdays to celebrate and even a Christening. Busy busy busy.
- November: A wee break in the business (other than uni work of course) but towards the end my mum will be coming up to see me and to go to the Christmas markets.
- December: Semester 1 will be over! I will also be heading to Berlin just before Christmas to visit my friend and to see Germany for the first time! Then I’ll have Christmas in London with the family and New Year who knows where!
I won’t look any further ahead than that…
Thank you very much for visiting my website – stay tuned for more letters!
[Page updated 14/09/2017]