Welcome to my blog! I’m Lou and I’ve started this blog to document my travels and to provide as much information about the places I’ve been as possible!
I’m from the South of England in a little village in Hertfordshire, however my family and I moved to sunny Somerset in the South West when I was 9. I’m now 20 years old and am living in Edinburgh for university.
I’m studying architecture which may be my dream job, but right now I’m working towards graduating so that I can get out and see the world.
I started this blog to share stories about my travels. I am very lucky because at Edinburgh University I am blessed with lovely long summers, which will usually be about 4 months. I intend to use these precious months to the maximum and do some exciting things each summer. I also have some smaller trips planned whilst I’m at university which of course I intend to document.
My aim was always to post 3 times a week, which has proved impossible. I’ll just try to post as and when I can! I was never a master with words so don’t expect long essays, but I would like to get some fun, helpful and informative posts out there!
I actually want to treat this blog as just part of the website ‘aletterfromlou.com‘. I also want to provide good information on the places I’ve been and the things I’ve done. I want this whole thing to be helpful.
It will take me some time to develop these areas of the website but I will get there!
Most importantly, I want this to be full of memories, photos and stories that I can keep looking back on in years to come.
Last summer (2016) I worked at camp in America which I loved and posted quite a few letters about my time at camp and travelling. Check them out here: Category: USA.
2017 has been pretty great so far! In the new year I went to Iceland for a week which must be one of the most amazing countries I’ve ever visited. I have some letters about my trip here: Category: Iceland.
I also went to Italy for 10 days as part of my course, and visited Rome, Turin and Milan. Each city surprised me in different ways and it made me fall in love with Italy all over again. Read my letters about Italy here: Category: Italy.
I’ve just spent my summer of 2017 doing some pretty awesome things and I am just finishing off writing about all of the wonderful places I visited!
- May: I spent a week in Spain holidaying in my auntie’s beautiful apartment in Nerja, just east of Malaga. It was a very relaxing week and I had some quality time with my boyfriend before continuing my travels solo! After he flew back I went to Malaga, Cordoba and Sevilla before heading off to Portugal.
- June: I began June on the Algarve with one of my best friends. We met in Faro, where we spent 2 nights and then travelled across to Lagos which was beautiful. I hadn’t been to Portugal since I was about 4 so it was great to return! I then headed up to Lisbon where I stopped for a few days before moving again to Porto. My mum met me in Porto and we had a nice relaxing week to catch up. June then got rather busy because I flew over to Budapest to meet my boyfriend, staying for only a couple of nights and then went down to Zagreb. I spent 4 nights in this fabulous city and even squeezed in a music festival. We then all headed over to Pula to spend a couple of days relaxing before they all flew home and again I continued on my travels.
- July: This was my big travel month. A whole month free with only a return flight booked back from Podgorica. I took my time travelling down the coast of Croatia and then spent a couple of weeks in Montenegro. I loved both of these countries and was not ready to leave. I’ve completed all of my posts about Croatia but I’m still working on Montenegro so stay tuned!
- August: Actually time for me to earn back some of the money I spent on travel. I worked for a lego exhibtion at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival which was bizarre and lots of fun. I got to experience Fringe for the first time which was a definite eye opener – and I loved it.
- September: I visited London to catch up with my family, spent a couple of weeks at home in Somerset with my mum, celebrated my best friend’s birthday in Cardiff and then relaxed for a miniscule amount of time before heading to the Lake District to see my friend who moved to Berlin for her year abroad.
- October: I enjoyed a lovely weekend away with my boyfriend in Loch Lomond which allowed me to see a little more of Scotland and get away from my degree for a couple of days.
- November: Filled to the brim with work.
- December: So far has been incredibly busy with uni work but it’s slowing down now and I am very ready for Christmas. Just before Christmas I head to Berlin for a week and then back home to London to spend the holidays with family. Shortly after my boyfriend is coming down to Somerset to spend time with me and home and we’re seeing the new year in with my best friend in Bath. Can’t wait!
- January: Me and my boyfriend are heading to London for the night before flying up to his home in the highlands. Hoping for good weather! Then I’m spending a week in Edinburgh getting a head start on MY LAST SEMESTER OF UNIVERSITY!!!!
Thank you very much for visiting my website – stay tuned for more letters!
[Page updated 09/12/2017]